- Capo, J., Payne, A. E. and G. Magnusdottir, (In preparation for Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres): Weather regime analysis of atmospheric rivers along the western coastline of Scandinavia. (J. Capo was a Masters student co-advised with Gudrun)
- Payne, A. E. and C. Jablonowski, (In preparation for Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres): A case study evaluation of a mesoscale convective system in variable-resolution CESM.
- Shields, C. A, J. J. Rutz, L. R. Leung, F. M. Ralph, M. Wehner, B. Kawzenuk, J. M. Lora, E. McClenny, T. Osbourne, A. E. Payne, P. Ullrich, A. Gershunov, N. Goldenson, B. Guan, Y. Qian, A. M. Ramos, C. Sarangi, S. Sellars, I. Gorodetzkaya, K. Kashinath, V. Kurlin, K. Mahoney, G. Muszynski, R. Pierce, A. Subramanian, R. Tome, D. Waliser, D. Walton, G. Wick, A. Wilson, D. Lavers, Prabhat, A. Collow, H. Krishnan, G. Magnusdottir, and P. Nguyen, 2018: Atmospheric River Tracking Method Intercomparison Project (ARTMIP): project goals and experimental design. Geoscientific Model Development, 11, 2455-2474.
- Payne, A. E., and G. Magnusdottir, 2016: Persistent landfalling atmospheric rivers over the west coast of North America. Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmosphers, 121,13,287-13,300, doi: 10.1002/2016JD025549.
- Payne, A. E., M. F. Jansen, and T. W. Cronin, 2015: Conceptual model analysis of the influence of temperature feedbacks on polar amplification. Geophysical Research Letters, 42, 9561–9570, doi:10.1002/2015GL065889.
- Payne, A. E., and G. Magnusdottir, 2015: An evaluation of atmospheric rivers over the North Pacific in CMIP5 and their response to warming under RCP 8.5. Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres, 120, 11,173–11,190, doi: 10.1002/2015JD023586.
- Payne, A. E. and G. Magnusdottir, 2014: Dynamics of landfalling atmospheric rivers over the North Pacific in thirty years of MERRA reanalysis. Journal of Climate, 27 (18), 7133–7150, doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-14-00034.1.
- Breecker, D.O., A.E. Payne, J. Quade, J.L. Banner, C.E. Ball, K.W. Meyer, and B.D. Cowan, 2012: The sources and sinks of CO2 in caves under mixed woodland and grassland vegetation. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 96, 230 - 246, doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2012.08.023.
- Payne, A. E. (2016): An Analysis of the Behavior and Intensity of Extreme Atmospheric Moisture Transport Events over the North Paciﬁc Basin. Doctoral Dissertation. Supervisor: Gudrun Magnusdottir. University of California, Irvine.
- Payne, A. E. (2014): Conceptual Model Analysis of the Influence of Temperature Feedbacks on Polar Amplification. Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Program. Supervisor: Malte F. Jansen. Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.
- Quinn, A. E. (2010): Carbon Isotope Analysis of the Sources and Mechanisms of CO2 Input and Removal from central Texas Cave Systems. Bachelor of Science, Geosciences. Honors thesis. Supervisors: Jay L. Banner and Dan Breecker. University of Texas, Austin.